Monday, May 28, 2012

The Writer


#MenageMonday Flash Fiction

Word Requirement: 100-200 words

Three Prompts:

1. The Photo, above.

2. The Phrase: "need more time" (can appear anywhere in the story).

3. The Judge's Prompt: storms--mental, emotional or physical.

My Entry: The Writer

The fire crackled, yellow flames flaring to blue as she tossed another crumpled page in.

"That's right, burn, you fucker," she cursed, adreneline storming through her body.

"I'm home." Her husband appeared through the back door, his brow creasing when he realized what she was doing. "What's going on?"

"Ten fucking years. I've had enough." Her voice choked on the last word, and the tears overflowed. Blinded, she nevertheless continued feeding the fire, one page at a time.

"You heard from Smallpress, then?"

"I used their letter with the kindling." She sniffed back the runniness of her nose. "Tomorrow I'm going down and putting in my application at the factory."

He put his arms around her. "I'm sorry, babe."

"Ten fucking years," she repeated, giving up and sobbing against his chest.

"Maybe you just need to give it more time," he suggested.

"I don't need more time," she mumbled. "I need more talent."

All of a sudden her head jerked up. "Wait. I've got an idea."

She jerked away from him and raced into the house. As he doused the bonfire, from the open window he heard the clattering of the typewriter.

192 words

Honorable Mention
Dee |@dee_768
Ah, the endless struggle of the writer. Love the sense of hope at the end.

Partly inspired by my dearest Muddy babe.

This post has been moved from my main page. Original comments are here.

No comments:

Post a Comment